Monday, 20 August 2012

Pendle Witch Walk

Being born and bred from Lancashire, the story of the Pendle Witches has always been common place and talked about. We learnt about them at school and on Halloween if you decided to be a witch, my mum would often proclaim to 'put me on Pendle Hill'
It's one of the most famous witch trials in England and has always been surrounded with mystery and magic alike. 

So, when my mum informed me she was doing a walk up Pendle Hill for charity, I knew I had to go along and support her.
She then followed with something that would make the day even more special - WITCHES!

The walkers had the chance to dress up as witches, and, if more than 200 did, they would break a world record - fantastic! After about an hour, the count was in and the turn up was 482 witches in one place - a new Guinness world record! Yay!

Witches gathering for the world record count (check out the little dog in his outfit!)

I didn't do the walk as I was still at University at the time of sponsor forms being released but the charity walk was all in aid of Pendleside Hospice who do an amazing job in the area of taking care of the terminally ill. They do events quite often to raise money and you can find out more here.


As I wasn't participating in the walk, and my mum was walking for 5 miles (eek) I strolled around the tiny village of Barley. It was as expected, extremely quaint, quiet (despite the 482 witches) and aesthetically beautiful. It's one of those villages, that when someone not from here imagines England, that is what they picture. As it is, picture perfect.



The Pendle Witch trial occurred in 1612 and consisted of 12 witches, all having been accused of witchcraft. All were on trial for murder and were eventually hanged at Lancaster castle. 


It's hard to imagine the thought of real witches, all around cauldrons, cackling in to the skies above! Quite a crazy thought, and maybe one of myths but still something incredibly interesting to be part of our history.


Creepy...!


One of the funniest things I've found whilst researching the Pendle Witches was a quote about Lancashire:
Lancashire, a county which, at the end of the 16th century, was regarded by the authorities as a wild and lawless region.
I can just imagine it! 



Anyway, on my walk through the village, I came across a teeny tiny tea shop, so small, upon first inspection I thought it was just someone's cottage. As I was on my own, I would usually just pine to go inside but be to shy to do so. Instead, a wave of urgency for tea and scones came over me and before I knew it I was being seated. 
I wasn't wrong to think it was someone's house, as inside it really was like sitting in someone's front room. It was so cosy and friendly, a really great atmosphere for a lovely cream tea!

 I got bored waiting around for 3 hours so decided to get a little cat on my face!



Scarecrow witch!


 I loved this lady, she was so colourful and had a super hand puppet dragon?! Amazing!



So, Momma K finally finished her walk in around 3 hours. Apparently there was 9 thousand steps to climb, 9 thousand!
I wondered why it took her so long...



The day unfortunately ended on a slight low as my mum ended up getting bitten by a wasp - twice! So we had to take a visit to St John's Ambulance. I've never had to use their service before but I have to say they are blimmin' wonderful. So friendly and professional and I can't believe these people volunteer in their own free time to help other people, they really are something special.


I think it's great to go on days out, and especially do and see things you wouldn't normally explore.
Next week we're going to a Viking Re-enactment over in Bolton so expect to see a post about that soon :)

Have you been to any great days out over the summer?



6 comments:

  1. I love stuff like this! I'm sad we never went on a witch trail whilst Phil lived in Lancaster. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so brilliant I love it! I'd love to dress up as a witch and walk for a great cause =)
    Lovely photos too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love absolutely everything about this post! That cream tea looks utterly fabulous too, drooling is an understatement right now ;) Well done to your mummy and I hope she's okay after the waspie stings :( xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :3 the cream team was delicious, I couldn't finish it all off though :(
      My mum is all well now, it wasn't anything major thankfully! xo

      Delete
  4. This is truly brilliant, Katie! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah :3 such a fun day! xo

      Delete

Hello, thank you so much for your comment, I read all of them and will visit your blog to have a nosey :)