Wednesday, 22 August 2012

DIY: Storage Boxes.

I've recently graduated from Uni and moved back home for a while, whilst I get myself back on my feet.
Obviously moving back home, all my stuff I've accumulated over the past 3 years at Uni has come with me and believe me, I have a lot of stuff (too much really...!)

I'm hoping to have my room redecorated before Christmas or in the New Year but for the time being I need storage - and lots of it. 
I found a few shoe boxes in our spare room at home and thought they'd be perfect for keeping bits and bobs, such as all my nail polishes, lipsticks, hair bobbles, kirby grips, hair products etc.

The only problem...shoe boxes are dull! I thought of the easiest way to spruce them up and it only cost me £1. 

You will need:

Shoe box, scissors, sellotape, a pen and wrapping paper. 

I got two different kinds of wrapping paper but the one I'm using for this tutorial is the zebra print. It was £1 from Asda supermarket and you get two sheets. 

To start, place your shoe box on top of the wrapping paper in the middle


Then, you're going to get your pen and draw an outline of the box plus an extra inch and cut around the outline.
the closest thing I had was a lipstick, so I used that (woops!) and don't worry if you get pen/pencil/lipstick...! on the box as the wrapping paper will cover this.


Once you've cut out the box outline, you should end up with something like this. 



Put the square you cut out aside as we'll be using this later.
Place your shoe box in the hole you cut out of the paper. 
Then carefully fold the sides up so they cover each side of the box.



If the paper overlaps the sides of the box, then just tuck them over and sellotape them down like so.



Now you need the square piece of paper you cut out earlier, this is going to be used to cover the lid of the box.


Place the paper over the lid and fold down the sides and sellotape (this is why you needed the extra inch!)


Voila! Your box is now finished. All spruced up for £1 and in less than half an hour. 



I decided to add a little extra something to my box which you can also do. I had a little hair bow hanging around that I don't wear any more so just glued it to the side of the box lid.






Have you DIY'd anything recently? Link me if you've made any blog posts about it :)


9 comments:

  1. Oo so pretty! :) Such a good idea, I love DIY! <3

    Ellen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, moving my uni stuff home made me realize how much I have accumulated too! Thanks for your URL help on twitter :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No probs, hopefully it sorts itself out eventually! xo

      Delete
  3. Love your blog :)

    You've got a new follower!!
    http://anothergirlsparadise-x.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :3
      I've refollowed!
      xo

      Delete
  4. the finished box looks so cute! i use beauty boxes to store nail polish :)
    http://cloudsandcuticleoil.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :3 I also use mine for nail polishes too, I have far too many! xo

      Delete
  5. Love these cute boxes!! I tried It before with left over wallpaper when I redecorated my room but the paper was too thick to do it neatly! Love your blog.. About to follow :)

    Natalie,
    http://insidethesecretcloset.blogspot.com
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome information! I was just looking for such valuable tips which I got from your post. I can now create my storage boxes on my own. Thanks for sharing!

    Storage Ireland

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you so much for your comment, I read all of them and will visit your blog to have a nosey :)