Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Affordable Make Up - Collection.

Collection Lip Stain Colour Pout in Flirt, Collection Colour Match Foundation in Ivory, Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in Fair.


Having just graduated and from being a full time student for the past three years, budgeting has played a huge part in my life. I of course yearn for high end make up, clothes and bags but unfortunately, these are treat items and often off my list. 
Make up is a pretty big deal in my life and it always has been since I was a teenager. I suffered from acne which has left me with scarring and other marks on my face. I've been lucky enough to use skin care ranges such as Clinique and Dermologica as birthday/Christmas presents which has helped improve my skin a great deal.
However, make up is the 'big deal' - it covers up my scars, blemishes and redness, which gives me a lot more confidence. At the age of 24, I have slowly started to like my skin and I understand hiding under a pile of make up is not the best thing to do to build your self esteem. Even so, make up adds something much more to my face and it really is an integral part of my daily routine.




When shopping for drug store foundation, I often hope straight to the higher end range of drug store, such as Revlon, Bourjois and MaxFactor. This time was a little different. I've been using Collection's Lasting Perfection concealer for a few years now and it really is great (more to come on that further on) so I thought it couldn't harm trying out their foundation, and at £3.99 I really couldn't argue over the price. 
I opted for the Colour Match foundation which claims that it adapts to your skin colour. The reason for this is because I am super pale and most Ivory foundations still come a little darker than my natural skin tone. It also has an SPF 20, which is great, especially if you're taking it on holiday. 

I'm about to be brave and post a picture of me without make up on, so you can see the difference the foundation adds.

Sorry about the shadow!

Ok, so as you can see I have a lot of redness, spots around my jaw line and scarring on my chin. 

Applied using Real Techniques Buffing Brush.

As you can see, it makes such a huge difference. It covers my redness and adds a porcelain look to my skin.
The foundation is quite thin, but I do like my foundations to be like this because they glide more easily over the face and I use much less product. 
The coverage is also great, although I had to add slightly more foundation in my problem areas but if you're lucky and have no blemishes/scarring then the coverage would be amazing. 
This picture was taken after about 5 hours of wear and no re application, so it definitely sits well on the skin and lasts quite a while. 
The only problem I'm currently having with this foundation is on my eyes (!). I know, it sounds very odd, but I have incredibly sensitive eyes. If someone is peeling an onion in the kitchen and I'm in the living room, my eyes will start watering and stinging. When I'm in the sun, I can hardly open my eyes without sunglasses. 
This foundation makes my eyes watery, and my suspicion is because of the high SPF. 

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer, £3.99

In the picture above I am also wearing the Collection 'Lasting Perfection' concealer. I absolutely love this product, it really is such a fantastic concealer. It has quite a creamy texture which lets you really work it in to the skin and I find it covers anything from dark circles to spots to scars. 
The coverage is second to none, my scars disappear almost instantly when applied correctly and it only ever fades slightly throughout the day. I have never bought a high end concealer because this works so well for me and it's such a great price.

Collection Colour Pout Lasting Lipstain in Flirt.

I've only ever used one lip stain before that was by Rimmel. What I like about lip stains, is they have no sheen and it feels like there is nothing on your lip. It almost looks like you have bitten your lips and a blood flow of colour has hit them, incredibly natural if you choose the correct colour. 
I was scouring for a lipstick the other day and wanted to use my boots points as I had about £4.50 on my card. I instantly headed for Collection because I knew there would be a lipstick in my price range and the quality would be good. As soon as I swatched the colour of this lip stain I knew I had to have it. It's a peachy colour with a hint of orange and pink shades but without being too overbearing. It applies really well and gives a lot of colour (my Rimmel one had to be applied very often and didn't give out much colour).


You can clearly tell I have a lip product on here but it isn't too powerful and still looks quite natural, which is what drew me to it. The price was once again brilliant for such a good product!


Other affordable make up I really love is MUA and Sleek.
Do you use drug store make up and if so what's your favourite?


10 comments:

  1. Awhh I think your skin looks great, I've seen a lot worse! I hate being a student and not having any money, it's such a pain when it comes to make-up, clothes, bags and shoes haha! It's kind of fun looking for cheap alternatives and ways to get around spending too much though! I absolutely love the collection 2000 concealer, I don't think I'll ever buy a different one!. Quite a good price too, I usually stock up when it's 3 for 2 :)
    E
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the prices really are amazing for the product, and I like that they've changed their branding on it now, it looks more aimed towards make up lovers, and not girls in their early teens.
      Have you got a blog, I can't find it?!
      xo

      Delete
  2. You honestly look lovely without make up! I loved this post, Budgeting as always been a big part of my life too. So much so that I ended up setting up my own blog based around more high street make up. I found you through the bbloggers blog hop - I really like your blog :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look fab without make up!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely post hun, I want to try that foundation now, the concealer is a firm choice of mine, plus £3.99 is a bargain by anyones standards. Also i don't think your skin looked bad at all :) now following your blog, http://gemsbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/ xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you so much for your comment, I read all of them and will visit your blog to have a nosey :)